I love to read. Books are a passion for me. I have read hundreds of books over the last several years. If I am really into a book, I can’t hardly put it down. I have been known to read books in a day or two. I think one thing that keeps me going are chapter breaks. I really love to read books with short simple chapters that share a focused principle or concept, then, ends the thought with a chapter break before moving on. It kind of gives me time to reflect and change gears before moving forward. Sometimes chapters even end with followup questions. I really like that.
Anyway, I feel like we have read and lived a few chapters so far in the journey of CrossLife. I would like to share some things we are learning through these chapters, mostly the hard way.
- Preparation and move to Southaven: garage sales, U-Hauls, car dollies, boxes, and broken furniture!
- We learned our call was not necessarily to a particular place, but a particular task: making disciples.
- Wise council was proved extremely valuable. Thanx, Mike Prince, Mike Evans, and Reach America!
- Friendships have been an awesome source of strength and stability. I love our team.
- Getting settled in and learning the cultural landscapes of suburban life.
- Talking less and listening more. This proved the most difficult process for me.
- Nay-sayers. Need I say more?
- Saying goodbye: The Kelley family moved, Ed & Krystal moved on, Mike, Deby, and Woody moved on.
- Failure. We learned about the deficiencies of our communication abilities. We neglected follow-ups. We lost several people.
- We saw some people relapse, lie, steal, and manipulate. This has made it hard to maintain a compassionate and tender heart toward those who really want to change.
- Helping people too much. Some people are beyond our ability to help.
- We had to confront our severe limitations.
- We are basically about to start fresh again.
- We have the same vision and mission, but we have a renewed passion and direction.
- We are taking the lessons we’ve learned so far very serious, and adjusting some of the things we do.
- I think my cynicism is subsiding a bit. Lord, help me!
We have some very exciting things coming up soon that I will be sharing, like: new groups, new locations, new times, etc. Stay tuned!